Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year and an easy Paper Garland


I was inspired by this project at the Purl Bee and this project from Martha Stewart to create these festive, whimsical paper garlands for our New Year's Eve party. When I was little, we spent quite a bit of time on New Year's Eve cutting confetti out of construction paper. It didn't bother us that we put so much work into something whose sole purpose was to be thrown into the air and then immediately vacuumed up by my mom. These days, however, I just don't have that kind of time! These garlands took less time to make, stayed in the air longer, and can be used again! And don't they just look so cute!

The beauty of paper garland is its versatility. By changing the colors of paper you use, you can make paper garland for just about any holiday or occasion; I think they'd look particularly sweet in pastels for a baby shower, or spring greens for Easter. And you can make them as long or as short as you like!

Materials:
  • colored construction paper in your choice of colors
  • thread to match (I used white)
  • scissors
  • a sewing machine
Instructions:
  1. Cut circles out of paper. Use whatever colors you want and make the circles all different sizes.
  2. Sew the circles together in a big long chain using your sewing machine.
  3. Display!

2 comments:

  1. Cute- We may have to make some of those up. They could be used for birthdays too!

    Valerie C should be marked as received. I know she got my package because I already got her thank you note. Thanks :) Beth M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete