Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Easter Preschool Lesson Plan


When we first got together to set up our preschool co-op, we decided that whoever taught the Wednesday immediately before a holiday got to do that holiday as their theme. I've missed every holiday by a week until now! I finally got a holiday, and what a fun one! Here are some of the fun things we did for our big Easter lesson:


Coloring page
I found a cute coloring page here.

And I discovered a few months ago that the kids will color at least 3 times longer if stickers are also involved!


Books
Our Easter books included Barney's Easter Basket by Donna Cooner

Hungry Bunny by Margaret Wang

and The Golden Egg Book by Margaret Wise Brown.



Songs
Little Peter Rabbit had a fly upon his ear.
Little Peter Rabbit had a fly upon his ear.
Little Peter Rabbit had a fly upon his ear,
And he flicked it til it flew away.
**Each child took a turn picking a different body part for the fly to land on, and we did actions. They thought it was really funny. I don't know the name of the tune, but it also works for "John Brown's baby had a cold upon it's chest, and they rubbed it with camphorated oil."

Spring is here now, Spring is here now.
How do I know, how do I know?
Because the flowers are blooming, because the flowers are blooming.
That's how I know, that's how I know.
**Again, each child took a turn choosing some sign of Spring. We also had "I see baby animals," and "Leaves are turning green." Sung to the tune of Frere Jacques.


Snack

Our snack was a Build-A-Bunny feast. I put out bowls filled with the following: Kettle Corn-flavored mini rice cakes, skinny pretzel sticks, raisins, freeze-dried strawberry tidbits, and banana slices cut diagonally and then in half. I made a bunny face on my plate so the kids would have a guide, and then they each used whatever they wanted to build their own bunny. They had a lot of fun and actually ate everything, which isn't always the case!


Easter Egg Hunt
Of course, we had an Easter egg hunt, but we didn't use baskets. I gave each child a plain white gift bag and a lot of Easter stickers, and they decorated their own Easter bag.

Instead of filling the eggs with candy, I printed up two sets of ABC's on cardstock. One set was uppercase printed on green cardstock, and one set was lowercase printed on pink cardstock. I cut the letters out a put one in each egg. Except that I somehow thought 48 eggs would be enough and had to double up on a few letters!

After the kids had discovered all the eggs, we opened them in the middle of the room, took the letters out, and started sorting them. I had them put the uppercase letters in ABC order, but you could also have them match up the uppercase and lowercase letters (we just ran out of time).


No comments:

Post a Comment